Call for Proposals
This call is now closed.
C-DEBI’s mission is to explore life beneath the seafloor and make transformative discoveries that advance science, benefit society, and inspire people of all ages and origins. Working toward that mission, our education and outreach goals include creating distinctive, targeted education programs and promoting increased public awareness about life below the seafloor.
C-DEBI is pleased to announce the availability of grants to support education and outreach projects, with a budget of up to $50,000 and a project duration of 1 year. The C-DEBI Education & Outreach Grants Program will fund the development of educational opportunities and materials that are pertinent to deep biosphere research in the subseafloor environment.
C-DEBI welcomes proposals from applicants who would enhance diversity in C-DEBI and STEM fields.
Possible proposals topics may include (but are not limited to):
- Develop or update instructional media focusing on deep biosphere research
- Develop educational media on specific topics in deep biosphere research
- Develop and publish educational products or marketing media for researchers communicating deep biosphere research
- Conduct participatory training in some aspect of deep biosphere research
- Organize mentoring programs or support groups
- Support workshops or meetings on relevant topics
- Develop training sessions and tools concerning deep biosphere research
Proposals should include an institutional letter of intent confirming that the institution can receieve subawards from NSF, a title, a short project summary of ≤200 words written for a broad audience, a project description including figures and tables of not more than five pages (font size ≥11 pt), a separate bibliographic reference section, a detailed budget and budget justification including institutional overhead, and NSF‐style 2‐page CVs of all participants. Please submit your proposal as a single PDF via our online submission form.
This call is now closed.
Successful applications will address these topics:
- How the proposed activities are expected to increase the awareness of the selected audience to C-DEBI and the deep biosphere
- Explanation as to whether this is a pilot project or part of a long-term project
- A cohesive project management plan or strategy, including measurement of project outcomes and metrics of success
- A description of the expertise and the roles of all participants
- Discussion of the target audience and the number of individuals to be served. Target audiences include, but are not limited to: policy-makers, organizations in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors, communities of interest, students at all levels (i.e., K-8, high school, colleges, universities), the general public, international audiences. Note: Priority will be given to academic programs aimed at undergraduate and graduate studies.
- How the proposed work would engage underrepresented students
- If appropriate, tracking strategies for maintaining contact with the audience after completion of the project
- If appropriate, promotion and distribution activities, such as adaptation for outreach modules or different audiences, media events, software or Netware, artistic exhibits, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact: Stephanie Schroeder (firstname.lastname@example.org), C-DEBI Education, Outreach, & Diversity Director