In addition to providing training in state-of-the-art technologies and instrumentation for graduate students and beyond, we emphasize professional development training targeting skills needed both in and out of academia. These live interactive webinars provide transferable skills for all early career scientists and will be archived on the website for those unable to “attend” the live events.
Do you have questions like:
- How do I put together (or understand) a budget?
- How do I improve my work-life balance?
- How can I use social media to help my science career?
If so, then this webinar series is for you!
Professional Development Webinar #10: Scientific editing as a career
- Led by: Delphine Defforey, Associate Editor, Nature Communications
- Date: Wednesday, November 28, 9-10am PST (5-6pm London time)
Professional Development Webinar #9: Work-life Balance is Essential and also it can’t Possibly Exist
- Led by: Drew Steen, C-DEBI Assistant Professor of Environmental Geology, University of Tennessee
- Date: Friday, August 31, 12-1pm PST
Professional Development Webinar #8: What I wish I knew before I knew it: Surviving the early years of tenure-track faculty
- Led by: Brandi Kiel Reese, Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- Date: Wednesday, June 20, 12-1pm PST
Professional Development Webinar #7: The Joys of Open Science
- Led by: Ben Tully, C-DEBI Bioinformatic Specialist
- Date: Wednesday, April 25th, 12-1pm PST
Professional Development Webinar #6: Surviving (and Maybe Even Thriving!) in a Soft Money Position
- Led by: Julie Huber, C-DEBI Associate Director, Associate Scientist, WHOI
- Date: Wednesday, February 28, 12-1pm PST
Professional Development Webinar #5: Speaking as a Scientist with Press, Politicians, and the Public
- Led by: Andy Fisher, C-DEBI Co-PI, professor UCSC
- Date: October 24, 2017, 12-1pm PST
Professional Development Webinar #4: How to Negotiate in Academia
- Led by: Karen G. Lloyd, Assistant Professor, Microbiology Department, University of Tennessee
- Date: August 24th, 11am PST
- Why negotiation is essential
- Tips for how to do so successfully
- What to expect from post-doc and assistant professorship job negotiations
Professional Development Webinar #3: Proposal Writing, Management, and Budget Planning
Speakers: Donna Blackman (Scripps Institution of Oceanography) and Beth Orcutt (Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences)
C-DEBI teamed up with the Consortium for Ocean Leadership’s Marine Geoscience Leadership Symposium (MGLS) for this comprehensive webinar on proposal preparation June 15, 2017. The webinar focused on topics related to preparing research proposals by providing advice on writing, constructing planning timelines, managing a team through the process, and preparing a budget. In addition to the 1 hour 20 minute video (see below), PDFs are available of the presentation slides and a supplemental question answered from the extensive Questions and Discussion at the end of the webinar.
Professional Development Webinar #2: Leveraging Social Media
- Led by: Jen Biddle, Assistant Professor, College of Earth, Ocean, & Environment, University of Delaware
- Date: Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:00pm PST
- Are you using social media to network and promote your science?
- Learn why you should and how to do it
Professional Development Webinar #1: Elevator Talk
See the inaugural 2013 science communication “Elevator Talk” webinar presented by Dr. Myrna Jacobson-Meyers (USC), David Bader, Emily Yam, and Jenny Lentz (Aquarium of the Pacific).
Future webinars are expected to be held every other month. If you have any questions, please contact: Stephanie Schroeder (firstname.lastname@example.org), C-DEBI Education, Outreach, & Diversity Managing Director.