2019 STC Directors Meeting
The 2019 NSF-STC Directors Meeting on “The research mission of US universities in the 21st century” will be held at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California, on August 27-28.
The meeting venue is the USC Hotel (3540 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California 90007) with meeting rooms on the 2nd floor.
- Meeting Agenda
- Participant List
- Map and Contact Info
- Plenary and Panel Speaker Biographies
- NSF STC Briefing
- NATIONAL ACADEMIES PRESS: Research Universities and the Future of America: Ten Breakthrough Actions Vital to Our Nation’s Prosperity and Security (2012)
- AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ARTS & SCIENCES: Restoring the Foundation: The Vital Role of Research in Preserving the American Dream (2014)
- THE CHRONICLE REVIEW: The Soul of the Research University (4/28/14)
- THE CHRONICLE REVIEW: Building a New Research-University System (1/17/16)
- THE CONVERSATION: A new bond between the public and universities could brighten America’s future (5/22/18)
- THE CHRONICLE: Here’s How Some Universities Are Raising Their Research Profiles (7/29/18)
- THE CHRONICLE REVIEW: The University Run Amok! (7/29/18)
Registration and Hotel Reservation
Transportation: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the closest airport to USC (~15 miles). There are no direct and easy routes to USC via public transportation; a taxi / shuttle/ rideshare driver should know how to get you to USC in a reasonable amount of time even through notorious LA traffic.
Lodging: The USC Hotel is at the edge of campus at 3540 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California 90007. This is the same location as the meeting. We have booked a block of rooms for August 26-28 (and a limited number of additional rooms for checkout August 29). The room rate is $169.00/night (excluding taxes).
Exploring Los Angeles
Of course there are endless things to do in LA, but if you are looking for something within walking distance, just south of USC lies Exposition Park, including:
- The California African American Museum
- The California Science Center
- The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
- The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- The City of Los Angeles Rose Garden
For questions, please contact Rosalynn Sylvan, C-DEBI Managing Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)