The Center for Dark Energy Biosphere Investigations (C-DEBI), headquartered at the University of Southern California (USC) and funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), is offering an all-expense paid, three-week, intensive introductory aquatic microbiology course called Global Environmental Microbiology (GEM).
We are recruiting early career undergraduates interested in a STEM career from 2- and 4-year colleges:
- to join us at the University of Southern California and Santa Catalina Island
- from June 13 through July 2, 2021
- for lectures, discussions, labs, fieldwork, networking, career panels and more
- focusing on aquatic microbes and their ecology
- taught by Drs. John Heidelberg and Eric Webb
- paid for by C-DEBI, including travel, room, board, and course expenses
HOWEVER, if we cannot offer an in-person program in summer 2021, we will offer a highly modified online version of the course: Summer OnLine Interactive/Discussion-Global Environmental Microbiology (SOLID-GEM).
We strive to recruit participants that reflect the diversity of students at the community college and university level with varied science learning and life experiences. We encourage students from groups underrepresented in STEM fields and first-generation college students to apply.
Application Deadline: February 25, 2021 at 5:00pm PST
For questions and comments, contact Gwen Noda at firstname.lastname@example.org.